Reading/Writing Assignments: Students are highly encouraged to read periodicals to become more comfortable with business nomenclature and the wide array of topic areas covered in this survey class. To help students gain some practical experience in reading about business, students are assigned to research a total of three articles: one article for each report, with a total of three reports due according to the class calendar.
These reports must be formally type-written and will be graded primarily on content, but will also consider grammatical and mechanical presentation, i.e. spelling, punctuation and sentence structure (students are encouraged to use spell-check/grammar-check tools that are provided in MS Word).
· Heading should include name, report # (1-3) reference, and date
· Paper should be type-written, double-spaced, 12 pt. font size (remember to use spell checker and grammar tools!!)
· Precede each article write-up by citing the article in the following format (omitting this info if not available):
Last Name, First Name "Article Title," Journal Name (month date, year) pages
Levy, Stephen and Hafner, Katie “Disney Magic,” US News & World Report (June 2, 2003) pg.52+
· Articles should be current, within the last two years (dated September 2008 or later)
· Following the article citation, in two paragraphs per article (minimum of four sentences per paragraph), describe in your own words what the article was about and your reaction to the article.
The sources listed below are allowable references for reading assignments. Other sources may be used ONLY if prior approved by the instructor via email.
Wall Street Journal (wsj.com/classroom)
Business Week (businessweek.com)
US News & World Report (usnews.com)
PC World (pcw.com)
J of Accounting
J of Marketing
Sales and Marketing Management
Black Enterprise (blackenterprise.com)
Modern Office Technology
Harvard Business Review
Kiplinger’s Personal Finance (kiplinger.com)
Time-Warner Site: www.pathfinder.com
Late work will not be accepted.
Library Instruction will show you how to fulfill the following requirements of your assignment. Use the tabs above to learn how to do the following things: