BIO 160 – BIOLOGICAL PRINCIPLES
POPULAR VS. PEER-REVIEWED JOURNAL ARTICLES AS REFERENCES
1. List your project topic or question below.
2. Attend the library session during lab time with your class during the first week of class.
3. Find two recent (published since 2010) references that address your selected topic using the research techniques you learn during the library session. One reference should be from a popular media source (e.g., magazine or newspaper) and one reference should be from a peer-reviewed journal.
4. Use American Psychological Association (APA) style documentation to cite each reference below
5. Read both articles thoroughly.
a. Describe one way the articles are similar.
b. Describe two ways the articles are different.
c. Which article provides more helpful and understandable information about the topic? Why?
d. Do the references contain any conflicting information? Explain.
e. Pick the article you will be most likely to use in your report. For practice, write a summary sentence that references the information in the article, using proper parenthetical citations.
After this library session, you will be able to: