OC logo

OC Libraries

Skip to Main Content


Chat with a Librarian



Live text chat is available 24/7/365. When an OC librarian is not available, you will be connected to one of our partner librarians from another college or university, who can help you in many ways.


CURRENT STATUS OF InterLibrary Loan (ILL) Service

OC Libraries are accepting InterLibrary Loan requests for journal and magazine articles ONLY at this time. These items will be provided to you in electronic format, via email.  We are currently unable to fill InterLibrary Loan requests for books. 

If the form below does not display correctly, access the form directly at: https://sbctc-olympic.primo.exlibrisgroup.com/discovery/blankIll?vid=01STATEWA_OLYMPIC%3AOLYMPIC

Request form

Interlibrary Loan Policy

Interlibrary Loan Policy

Interlibrary Loan (ILL) is a service through which Olympic College Libraries may request copies of journal articles and borrow books and other materials for our patrons from other libraries in the United States and Canada. ILL requests are processed daily and take on average 5 to 10 days to arrive.  Most libraries send ILLs via US Mail. They may therefore take longer to arrive if coming from outside of Washington State. Article requests will be obtained electronically and sent via email whenever possible.

Who can use this service?

ILL services are available to current students, faculty, and staff of Olympic College and residents of Kitsap and Mason counties. County residents must set up a community account in person at one of our campus libraries before ILL requests can be processed. In order to qualify for a community account, applicants must be at least 16 years old and able to provide a valid photo ID and proof of current Kitsap or Mason County address, such as a utility bill or lease.

Limits on requests

In order to provide free and timely service to all our patrons, please be as judicious as possible in submitting requests. If you are requesting more than five (5) ILLs at a time, please contact a library faculty for assistance.

How do I submit a request?

ILL requests may be submitted using our “Interlibrary Loan Request Form,” OCLC Wayfinder, or OCLC FirstSearch databases. When using our form, please provide complete information, including title and author of books, and your first and last name and current contact information. When submitting a request for a journal article, complete the information at the bottom of the form, including journal title, date, volume or number (if available), pages numbers (if available), and article author.  Complete information will help us process your request more quickly.

Materials available through Interlibrary Loan

Books and journal articles not owned by Olympic College are the most common types of requests. We are also able to fill requests for microfilm, audiovisual material, foreign language material, music scores, maps, and manuscripts.

While most ILL requests are filled within 5 to 10 days, some items may take longer to obtain. Genealogical works, new books (within the current calendar year), reference/special collection materials, manuscripts, whole issues of magazines, audiovisual materials (such as DVDs and audio books), and microfilm from outside Washington state are lent only by a limited number of lenders and may have long wait times. If requesting genealogical works, please be aware that most libraries do not lend these materials. If you are looking for specific pages or names in an indexed genealogical work, we may be able to fill a copy request for those pages. You may also request copies of an index or Table of Contents of these works for use in future requests.

We are unable to fill Interlibrary Loan requests for the following items:

  • Textbooks: Required text books cannot be borrowed through ILL. Please ask your instructor to place a copy on course reserve.
  • High-demand entertainment items such as bestsellers, recent entertainment DVDs, and recent music CDs: Please visit your local public library to request these materials.  These materials often generate wait lists at the library of origin, causing most public libraries to restrict ILL lending.
  • Electronic works (E-Books): Depending on the work, we may be able to fill requests for copies of specific chapters or sections. Contractual restrictions prevent us from requesting loans of electronic books in entirety.

Due Dates

Due dates and restrictions on the use of materials (such as in-library use, renewals) are determined by the lending library. If you wish to renew an ILL, please contact the Haselwood Library Circulation Desk (360-475-7250 or 360-475-7253) three to five days before the material is due to ensure that we can contact the lender in a timely manner. Not all ILL items are renewable. If we are unable to obtain a renewal from the lender, the item must be returned by the due date. Once the lender has approved or declined a renewal, we will contact you with a new due date or to request return of the material. 

Overdue, Lost and Damaged Materials

If an item borrowed through ILL is not returned within three weeks after the due date, a replacement charge of $100 will be added to the patron record, pending receipt of invoice from the lender. This fee will result in a suspension of library borrowing privileges and a block on college records, including registration, transcripts and receipt of financial aid. If the replacement cost of the lost ILL as set by the lending library differs from $100, the patron record will be adjusted on receipt of the lender’s invoice to reflect the actual cost incurred. Once Olympic College has paid the lender for the overdue item, this replacement cost cannot be waived or refunded, even if the book is returned. In the event that an ILL is lost or damaged, please contact 360-475-7253 immediately. We will contact the lender for the replacement cost of the book.

rev. 2 May 2013 O'Shea